You can’t beat a bit of DIY! Try your hand at making your own Savon de Marseille laundry soap.
Hang on a minute - what is Savon de Marseille?
Savon de Marseille is a soap made from olive oil - it's a time-honoured, eco-friendly solution that has been trusted by generations for its pure, all-natural ingredients and sustainable production methods. With its gentle, hypoallergenic formula and minimal packaging, this traditional soap is the perfect choice for those who want to reduce their environmental impact while still enjoying fantastic cleaning results.
How to make Savon de Marseille laundry detergent
For 3 litres of washing liquid you’ll need:
- 90 g of genuine Savon de Marseille (in flakes or suitable for grating)
- 3 tablespoons baking soda
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar (optional)
- 20 drops of essential oil (lavender for example – optional but highly recommended)
- 1 litre cold water
- 2 litres hot water
- 1 empty washing liquid bottle (reused)
Instructions to make SDM
- Heat the 2 litres of water in a 5-litre pot.
- Pour in the 90g of soap and mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Mix in the baking soda. Leave to rest for a night so that the mixture becomes compact.
- Next, add the litre of cold water and white vinegar. Mix again.
- Add 20 drops of essential oil to perfume your washing liquid. And that’s it!
- Using a funnel, pour the mixture into the bottle and you’re ready for your first batch of laundry using home-made laundry detergent.
How to use Savon de Marseille to wash your clothes
- Use the standard dose: one capful is enough (roughly 100ml). It’s best to shake the bottle before each use.
- Pour directly into the detergent drawer.
- Tip: to soften your laundry, pour a capful of white vinegar into the softener dispenser of your machine.
3 litres of your DIY Savon de Marseille laundry liquid equals 30 washes (based on the standard 5kg of clothes per wash).
So with 600 grams of Savon De Marseille at a cost of £8 you could make enough laundry liquid for 200 washes! Wow!
Compare that to Persil non bio laundry detergent, where you’ll get 72 washes for £9.50.
The cost saving is huge!
Not only will you save some cash by making your own laundry detergent with Savon de Marseille, you’ll also help preserve our planet. Win, win!
Don't just take our word for it! Expert Reviews ranked Savon de Marseille as the best multi-purpose eco-friendly laundry detergent
Here's how simple it is to make your own laundry detergent using Savon de Marseille: